Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heavy Rain

+7
Dingo
Black Suede
Seany C
Mindkiller
Moozo
DanglyBrasco
01casey
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Heavy Rain - Page 2 Empty Re: Heavy Rain

Post by gdf Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 pm

Did you not find the crime scene section totally shit?

Here's what I said earlier, was pleasantly surprised by it, sort of. Part of this was in response to someone playing with French voices. I like proper languages where appropriate, but I'd hate that as much as I hate Shenmue or Men of War being in English

I played it in English, the facial animation and voice acting were perfectly fine. If it's meant to take place in the United States, I don't see the point of playing it in French unless it looks significantly better.

So, am I eating my hat? Almost. Almost. The first scene was very impressive. It's certainly not a perfect formula, and I'd go as far as saying this kind of interaction is inherently flawed. It doesn't matter that it's not fun, but it's objectively less impressive and interesting than proper, systemised play (I don't mean play in the normal sense either, I mean "gameplay") that produces similar results. I would say Far Cry 2, others would say no such title exists yet.

That said, scene one was both gripping and affecting, and at times exciting too. Initial impressions were bad - walking is needlessly awkward and the animation doesn't sit well with the smooth motion of characters at other times. The overweight detective that I was controlling began to wheeze and the game prompted a series of motions to take the inhaler. That was amazing.

Conversation works fairly well most of the time, but occasionally it's hard to understand what a certain word corresponds to. Sort of like the first Mass Effect, when the tone you think you're choosing doesn't correspond to the one Shepard uses. Otherwise I was seriously invested in the meat of this level, talking for five minutes and remaining interested the whole time, which was plesently surprising if nothing else.

Another issue: though it mostly did feel like I was shaping the direction of the speech, on more than one occasion there was little else to do but click through all the dialogue options until a character moved on. That's not marching through a narrative, that's just Oblivion all over again. Otherwise, it was pretty great. There was then a fight scene, which literally was just a QTE, but it was surprisingly tactile. The same problem appeared at the end of this, though, when my guy took it upon himself to punch his opponent several times of his own volition. This moving of the player in and out of interactivity and influence at seemingly spurious intervals is what it should try to avoid, but that I encountered it several times in the demo is a concern.

Overall, though, if the rest of the game is like that, I'll be happy to play through. The next scene, though, took that problem that I pointed out and exacerbated it beyond belief. I already thought the stupid detective glasses were completely crap, but you don't fully understand until you're walking awkwardly around a muddy enclosure holding R2 and tapping R1 periodically, then flicking the right stick down when standing over some hilariously highlighted "evidence". I found it all and tried to leave, but after walking over to the car and trying to open the door, the guy just refused and turned around. I had to look at the body or whatever. Totally obnoxious. That entire scene was one big slap in my possibly repentant face.

I'm definitely getting the full game, actually looking forward to it now. If they keep that shit to a minimum, it could be really good. The acting in the first scene wasn't as cheesy as I had feared, but scene two again shat all over that. We shall see.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:27 pm

I hated those damn CSI glasses. That hill felt like a shit boss too. Noir detective adventure had me interested it was just missing better dialogue, acting and animation and it'd be the perfect blend of cinematics and gameplay.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Best game of 2010, yo.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 pm

It's got potential, provided there's less of the awkward fucking glasses which require walking round in circles to see what you've just scanned.

It's essentially a huge cutscene, which is immense. Cutscenes are, for me, some of the most enjoyable parts of games if they're done right.

The main criticism I've seen, mainly the over-complication of movement is well leveled and it's a strange one from the devs - luckily it doesn't hinder the experience. Although the voice acting was a bit shit. Nearly all of the characters had some crazy mixture of accents.

And how intense was that fight scene?
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:20 am

I think I'll give the demo a miss. The game is out in just over two weeks and I've played Fahrenheit, so I know how all the shiz works.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 am

Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) wrote:We're enjoying it immensely... It is a game like none other.

5/5

lol lol lol
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:10 am

Hmmm... the graphics are no doubt the most impressive I've ever seen, and the atmosphere is pretty sweet, but... what's up with the voice acting? Not terribly impressive. Unlike Fahrenheit's demo which had me psyched for the main game immediately, this demo didn't really fire me up as I had hoped. First scene was good, second scene wasn't. Will still buy, don't let me down after all this time QD!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:15 am

Fahrenheit had a few terrible scenes!

Don't get yer panties in a twist, laddy.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:17 am

But the opening was fantastic! And I liked the supernatural stuff... Sad

NO MOAHR SNEAKY CHILDHOOD SCENE PLOX!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:22 am

Yeah, the sneaking was so bad. It almost puts me off playing through it again sometimes.

I'm really worried about how they are going to do the shooting. Will it be QTEs or actually do a third-person thing?
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:25 am

The fight was QTE so I expect all other combat will be too. I'm currently stuck in the middle of Fahrenheit in that bloody army camp. Soul destroying!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:48 am

I guess that was a stupid question.

I remember my friends were over while I did the part with Lucas's ex-girlfriend. Playing the guitar, making her a drink and so on, but when it cut to the sex (if you did it right) and the QTE came up to enter her and exit her, going faster and faster, was just hilarious. Honestly wasn't expecting that.

It's going to be really awkward while undressing Madison to go in the shower. I dunno what I would say if someone walked in, like my mum or dad. To be honest, they wouldn't mind, but David Cage is just a little too pervy sometimes.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Black Suede wrote:It's going to be really awkward while undressing Madison to go in the shower. I dunno what I would say if someone walked in, like my mum or dad. To be honest, they wouldn't mind, but David Cage is just a little too pervy sometimes.

Haha, I've had exactly the same thoughts. I think I'd just open the XMB sharpish.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:47 pm

There's been some pretty good scores from non-PS3 mags.

PSM3 wrote:It's essentially a nine-hour film that you nudge along by following on-screen button prompts, although you feel more connected with the action than this might suggest.

Lowest score so far.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 pm

It got a six from some French site, but I wasn't so keen on their badly translated arguments.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Still wishing the CSI character was chopped from the game or at least his fucking gadgets.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindkiller Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Mindkiller
Mindkiller

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Jim Sterling's pretty much a cunt, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's along the right lines.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm

CVG wrote:You have to appreciate Heavy Rain for what it is; a fantastic and absorbing narrative, and a bold new venture in interactive storytelling. Not Shenmue.

OMG! It's not Shenmue!

This game is getting good scores, yo.

I just looked up Fahrenheit's scores and saw that Edge gave it an 8... wtf? Surprised to see it did so well, overall.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Just played the demo, and I'm very impressed. Let's have bumsex, Casey!

The Crime Scene section isn't as half bad as some of you are making it out to be, although I would rather there wasn't many more of them. I already know that other one at the garage.

Anyway, I went through the first part a couple more times trying different things, and one playthrough I didn't talk to the guy at the reception, I didn't get any answers out of the lady because I choose 'buy' instead of 'trick', and some other things like not putting my card on the table, losing the fight, and at one point not even going back to save her, to have the fight.

I also went through the first bit again in French, and it wasn't that great. The voices don't resonate in the environment, lost a lot of the atmosphere, and the fact that it's set in America! Duh!
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindkiller Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Another video (spoilers)
Dude cuts off his finger with a saw
/spoilers
Mindkiller
Mindkiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Playing it now! Big smile
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:51 am

Finished it.... wow, quite the ride! Fans of Fahrenheit definetly won't be disappointed, and while it's not perfect it sure as hell manages to present you with some of the toughest decisions in videogame history. And it works because you are involved. Very, very involved.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Also, to everyone planning to play this, STAY THE FUCK OFF YOUTUBE. Spoilers for a key plot point are everywhere on Heavy Rain trailers. I read one by accident before I started playing, and while the game was still fabulous it did ruin it a bit for me. You've been warned!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Had this staring at me fora day now but refuse to play it until I complete Mass Effect 2, don't want it interfering with that!
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum