Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed

+23
JNub
Septula
JokerJamie
Fisheggz
Ipso-Shrapnel
Raine
Hiding in the bushes with
Jammer
mcgugan
Moozo
NYNE
01casey
bomby
GearsCT
DanglyBrasco
Seany C
Rebellious Backbencher
Dont Look Angry
weeble
gdf
Dingo
Kaptain Kaviar
Black Suede
27 posters

Page 28 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed - Page 28 Empty Re: Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed

Post by Seany C Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Kaptain Kaviar wrote:Moby-Dick

Nowhere near as awe-inspiring as the book, but Gregory Peck's performance as the tormented Captain Ahab is commendable and the film has its fair share of amazing moments. The dialogue is a touch theatrical, but at least it is true to the novel on that account. The effects are impressive for its time, and the white whale does remind one of a leviathan. Read the book first then watch this applaudable effort!
I' still need to pick the book back up, it can be a fucking hard read at times though. I got a little past the bit where it lists those encyclopaedic descriptions of each species of whale, does it start to spice up any time soon?
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed - Page 28 Empty Re: Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Haha, only now and then. The book is 60% educational, 40% narrative. There's plenty of chapters about the marvels of whaling as the book progresses. I found it a pretty tough read at times too, but some chapters literally blow your mind. One of the my favourites is Ishmael's musings on the horrors of the colour White.

(Which reminds me, I've read all of Bone, can't remember if I told you)
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 pm

lol Still need to finish Bone, was it good overall?
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Went from a promising start to becoming a slightly cliched epic fantasy which all the pros and cons that entails. Entertainment, nothing more. Didn't seem to be any payoff to the numerous Moby Dick references.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Yeah, from the reviews I expected something a bit more meatier, probably a lot more enjoyable for younger audiences
Edit: And if you haven't read Y the last man do yourself a favour and try the first volume, all it took to get me hooked
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Dude, I've already got the 3 deluxe editions of Y released so far! I fucking adore that comic! Pre-ordred edition 4 which is out in October, can't wait.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:16 am

This isn't the fucking book thread, dweebs.

jks

The Abyss (1989) Director: James Cameron

Can't say I liked it very much, not my favourite Cameron film. Quite long-winded for a film set under water, but I guess that helps build the claustrophobia of it all. Read that the special edition is the one you want to watch as better without the happy ending or something. It's 20 or so minutes longer though, so, ugh.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Inception

Well, what can I say? Nolan delivers another calculated awe-inducing thrill ride. And while he can't seem to shake off the slight metallic feeling that seems omnipresent in all his films, making the drama less endearing than the action, the overall product remains outstanding. Feels like the Matrix sequel Reloaded should have been.

Stunningly original? Maybe not. Tremendously well put together? Yes sir!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Most amazing scene for me was

Spoiler:
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:58 pm

The Princess Bride (1987) Director: Rob Reiner

Some very funny, witty dialogue, the scene with the posion in the wine is great. I think overall though I didn't like as much I was hoping I would. A very funny, enjoyable film though.

Jackie Brown (1997) Director: Quentin Tarintino

Don't know why it's taken me so long to see this film, but it's actually pretty good. Not exactly as exciting, or explosive as his other films, but the characters and dialogue are all top notch.

Isn't it the only film he's directed that he didn't write?

Toy Story (1995) Director: John Lasseter

I was so anxious this would have lost it's touch after not watching it since I was little. I'm sure the last time I probably watched it was on VHS. But, my God, I LOVED IT! I've already watched it three times since I got it. Experiencing it on Blu-ray for the first time was absolutely magical. A masterpiece.

Toy Story 2 (1999) Director: John Lasseter

How could you live up to the first film, a very difficult task, but Pixar manage to make a pretty adaqute sequel. Not as memorable, but still funny, and Jessie and Bullseye are great characters.

Sunshine (2007) Director: Danny Boyle

They say you either hate it or love it. After watching it I gave it sometime to sink in and realised that I did quite like it. The ending is a little confusing. I'll probably give it another watch.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) Director: George A. Romero

I found out that the version I watched was a rubbish transfer or something, but I still think that woudn't have helped make me think it was any better than it was. I guess people like as it's the film that's started all the zombie films.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) Director: George A. Romero

Really enjoyed it, still holds up pretty well.

Day of the Dead (1985) Director: George A. Romero

I consider this my favourite one, I can't believe people think it's the worst out of the three, the effects in it are so awesome! The bad guy is brilliant as well.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:31 am

Toy Story 3

A wonderful, beautiful film that never ceases to impress. Although it relies heavily on references to the first two films it never feels tiresome, and the waves of nostalgia are impossible to hold at bay. The second act of the film is perhaps the strongest. The Sunnyside setting is wildly imaginative and the filmmakers never cease to surprise with a combination of wit and heart-felt emotion.

Where the film slips up ever so slightly however is right near the end. It's a bit self-indulgent and completely misses the mark emotionally. Show, don't tell Pixar. But apart from the third acts slight drop in believability the film stands as a remarkable achievement, being one of the very few third films worth a damn. Finest trilogy of all time? Very likely.

9/10
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dont Look Angry Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Kaptain Kaviar wrote:
Where the film slips up ever so slightly however is right near the end. It's a bit self-indulgent and completely misses the mark emotionally.

I was near in (man) tears.
Dont Look Angry
Dont Look Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Rocky

This is the first time I've ever seen this film (and the rest of the saga for that matter), and I dunno why that is. I loved it, a true underdog film. Some great performances and by the end fight I was rooting for Rocky all the way. The film makes me you feel great, makes me want to take up boxing or do more exercise. I might actually put "Gonna Fly Now" as my wake up call.

Rocky II

The second film is a fantastic follow up, I may actually like it more than the first film. It pretty much retreads the same ground, but with even more emotion. When the ref hit 10 on the end fight, I had to contain myself from jumping up and shouting! So good. Also, Mickey Goldmill is one of the best characters ever.

Rocky III

This is where the series starts to go a little over the top and loses it's charm, but still enjoyable as hell. Clubber Lang is one of the best villians ever, the end fight is epic. Not as good as the first two, but still very entertaining.

Rocky IV

The cheesiest of the lot. A robot... really? Anyway, the training montages of Rocky and Drago with Vince Di' Dicola and Survivor playing in the background is epicness of epic proportions, and then of course there is the fight itself. The most fun and energizing of the series. This will have you wanting to run up snowy mountains and lift big pieces of wood.

"I must break you".

It also ended the Cold War.

Rocky V

OK, this is the one most people hate, even Stallone hates it. Sure, Rocky doesn't fight in the ring this time, but it still has some great performances and drama. There's is a problem right from the start, though; his kid ages something like 6 years, even though it's only been a few days or something since the end of IV. Anyway, not the best one but I still like it, the street fight at the end is pretty good.

Rocky Balboa

After 15 years, Rocky returns, and I can't see how Stallone could have made this film any better. Rocky goes back to his roots (like the fifth film, but I guess Stallone just wiped that one from his memory) - he's challenged once again, he trains, runs up the Rocky Steps, etc. It's not the most exciting one, but it's a solid film, with some great performances, the most realistic fight, and a good way to send off the series (again).

I'll probably watch these all again in the next few weeks, haven't enjoyed a film series like this in ages. Had such a good time with them. Everybody should see these films.

Last edited by Black Suede on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 pm

I think you pretty much summed them up perfectly there, Suede. I especially agree about the second one - nobody ever goes on about that one while I think it's amazing Smile
Dingo
Dingo

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:25 am

The first one is still my favourite, after watching it I was knocking the shit out of an imaginary Apollo in my living room. I can't really remember the other ones too well. I think second was good, I know I found the 3rd to be the one with the least heart, 4th one... a robot? Can't remember enough to comment. Fifth one I enjoyed, and final one was like Suede said, solid, really surprising for a film revisiting an old and classic series. Indy 4, what happened?
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Dingo wrote:I think you pretty much summed them up perfectly there, Suede. I especially agree about the second one - nobody ever goes on about that one while I think it's amazing Smile

Yeah, I'm surprised about that. On Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, Jonathan has Sly rate them, and he gives the second a 7 and half, and Jonathan says he thinks he's being generous lol. He rates the third film higher aswell. Very strange.

Actually, here's a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDUF68NBkbs

seanyc123 wrote:4th one... a robot? Can't remember enough to comment.

It's Paulie's birthday and Rocky buys him a robot that talks and serves him food etc. It's in the midst of the 80s, so yeah.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindkiller Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Mulholland Drive - David Lynch

What a load of self-indulgent nonsense/10
Mindkiller
Mindkiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Dont Look Angry Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Piranha 3D.

Boobs. Bad (but hilarious) storyline. Great ending.

8/10

Grown Ups

Meh.

4.5/10 (And that mainly due to the saving grace of Arrow Roulette)
Dont Look Angry
Dont Look Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:41 pm

Mindkiller wrote:Mulholland Drive - David Lynch

Naomi Watts and Laura Harring dabbling in some lesbian action is good though, right? Smile
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindkiller Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:48 pm

YES

Mud monster man killed my boner though.
Mindkiller
Mindkiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Mindkiller wrote:Mulholland Drive - David Lynch

Psshh, Mulholland Drive is atmospherically peerless!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindkiller Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Only good part was the lesbian shenanigans. 10/10 for that.

It's easy to see that this was intended as a pilot to a series. The ending is such a messy postscript.
Lynch just wrote his way out of no man's land with a poorly conceived, contrived yarn about dementia or some shit.
Mindkiller
Mindkiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Gran Torino

The young actors in this are all a bit balls.
Rebellious Backbencher
Rebellious Backbencher

Back to top Go down

Post by GearsCT Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:05 am

Kick-ass

How have I just seen this XD.
So amazing.
GearsCT
GearsCT

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:06 pm

David Lynch, disturbed genius or pretentious cunt?
Personally I don't give a fuck either way.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 32 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next