Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bands to look out for in 2010

+3
Raine
maze
JokerJamie
7 posters

Go down

Bands to look out for in 2010 Empty Bands to look out for in 2010

Post by JokerJamie Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:22 am

I personally think 2009 was a great year for music, and I'm hoping that we can start off the new decade with a year that improves on its outstanding predecessor!

My personal choices on bands to look out for this year:

The XX

The young indie chillout group from London suffered a bit of a blow towards the end of 2009 when a member left the band. They continued on their tour however and still managed to blow me away. Their self titled debut album was released last year but didn't get the recognition I thought it deserved. If you haven't heard them, do yourselves a favour and check out their remix to Florence + The Machine's 'You've got the Love', and their own tracks 'Heart Skips a Beat' and 'Islands'.

Local Natives

A stylish, uplifting group from Los Angeles who have just finished touring with Fool's Gold. These guys have the potential to be huge with their tight guitar riffs, energetic harmonies and danceable beats. What I've heard makes me feel the same way I felt when I first heard Vampire Weekend, I wanna get drunk and dance to these songs.

The Bloody Beetroots

The craziest electro/techno/house/fucking insane music I got into in 2009, if you are into music that makes you go ballistic and feel like you're on 50 pills and are living out the last seconds of your life these are for you, otherwise, stay away. 'Romborama' is an awesome album, and the Italian duo are doing a European tour in the first half of 2010 (I'm seeing them in March). Some of the stuff off their album could rival Daft Punk and Basement Jaxx for melody. The album is well paced, not all being totally insane but also including some orchestral samples as a backing track. Check out 'Warp 1.9' and 'Awesome' if you want to get crazy.

Crystal Castles

Their debut album is one of my top 20 albums of the decade. I adored it. Alice Glass's crazy vocals (and lovely appearance) on top of some really experimental 8 bit electro makes for some really great songs. The follow up to their debut is expected for the Summer of 2010. Listen to 'Untrust Us' (a song that makes me feel like I would cry if I saw a sunset while listening to it, I don't know why...), 'Reckless', 'Air War' and 'Courtship Dating', or 'Alice Practice' for an example of their crazier shit.

I'll put up some more as I think of them!
JokerJamie
JokerJamie

Back to top Go down

Bands to look out for in 2010 Empty Re: Bands to look out for in 2010

Post by maze Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:57 pm

JokerJamie wrote:The XX

Their self titled debut album was released last year but didn't get the recognition I thought it deserved.

Uh, from who exactly? The album was very highly praised by pretty much every decent music site.

2010 seems pretty insane for music tbh, even without taking into account debut albums which usually contribute a lot to a good year. Pretty much all of my favourite bands are releasing something.

Broken Social Scene
The National
The Strokes
Arcade Fire
LCD Soundsystem
Panda Bear
Radiohead
Daft Punk (Tron Legacy soundtrack & tour)
Justice
Vampire Weekend
Ratatat
Of Montreal
Spoon
Interpol
Blink 182 Cool

Plus some good stuff which aready leaked;

Broken Bells (James Mercer from The Shins + Danger Mouse)
Los Campesinos! - Romance is Boring
Liars - Sisterworld

Crazy.

I just hope this Daft Punk tour is a big deal and not just a handful of dates spread across the world. Dying to see them.
maze
maze

Back to top Go down

Post by Raine Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:58 pm

I don't get The XX. I mean, I listened to it, but it's dull, bland and all the praise heaped upon it mystifies me.

I don't really know what's coming out in 2010 other than a lot more Devin Townsend albums. I haven't really been paying attention to music recently, it's how Moby and The Flaming Lips managed to sneak albums past me without noticing.

Oh, wait, just remembered, there's a new Goldfrapp album. That I do want.
Raine
Raine

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:29 pm

maze: Not saying that XX didn't get recognized at all, but certainly in Ireland it's difficult enough to find the album, and they played a tiny venue here in December that barely sold out. I just don't think they got the radio play they deserved really. With an album like that, they should be huge imo. Completely forgot about Arcade Fire and Blink 182, both of which I have a huge interest in hearing more of. I've seen Daft Punk live, they're awesome.
JokerJamie
JokerJamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dont Look Angry Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Need to bother to listen to the XX, heard about them a while ago. Well if anyone is interested in small, Irish bands you should check out General Fiasco, there pretty good listen.
Dont Look Angry
Dont Look Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Dont Look Angry wrote:Need to bother to listen to the XX, heard about them a while ago. Well if anyone is interested in small, Irish bands you should check out General Fiasco, there pretty good listen.

Might check them out. Any idea where they're from? And So I Watch You From Afar... are another great band from Northern Ireland, all instrumental stuff.
JokerJamie
JokerJamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dont Look Angry Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Derry, played Belfast quite a bit so Ive seen them a few times.

Also can't wait for Vampire Weekend's new album.
Dont Look Angry
Dont Look Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:37 am

Uffie, that is all.

Jammer

http://www.knights-of-curtainia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Ellie Goulding is another one actually...
JokerJamie
JokerJamie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:33 pm

JokerJamie wrote:Ellie Goulding is another one actually...
Indeed! It's a very good album from what i've heard, got it on the old "legally purchased" download as we speak...

Others that you may have missed in 2009 that need a look -
Dananananaykroyd!
Tubelord

Tubelord are fucking quality, can't wait to see them on monday before I go to quee for FFXIII...
Ipso-Shrapnel
Ipso-Shrapnel

Back to top Go down

Post by maze Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Dananananaykroyd's was one of the best British albums released last year. And it never got a mention, typical!
maze
maze

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:40 am

The Joy Formidable!

Metric.

This is all.

Seriously, Joy Frmidable, ucking incredible, mini tour this month, catch themmmm!
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down