Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed

+23
JNub
Septula
JokerJamie
Fisheggz
Ipso-Shrapnel
Raine
Hiding in the bushes with
Jammer
mcgugan
Moozo
NYNE
01casey
bomby
GearsCT
DanglyBrasco
Seany C
Rebellious Backbencher
Dont Look Angry
weeble
gdf
Dingo
Kaptain Kaviar
Black Suede
27 posters

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed - Page 2 Empty Re: Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed

Post by Seany C Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:41 pm

I personally think England should apologise for the Harry Potter franchise.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed - Page 2 Empty Re: Recently Viewed Films - Reviewed

Post by gdf Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Moon

Jaw dropping story of self-discovery. Thematically, the piece as a whole ties into our interpretation of the moon as lonely and mysterious. On top of that, it's often funny and Rockwell's performance(s?) is incredible. A neat anti-capitalist undertone and concurrent embracing and eschewing of sci-fi tropes impress. One of the best films of the year.

5/6
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Kaptain Kaviar wrote:I was gonna make a thread like this, dammit Suede Tongue out

I just watched The Machinist. A surreal thriller starring Christian Bale, who's disturbingly skinny! I really enjoyed the film a lot, and it creeped me out several times. Recommended!

8-9/10

I'm surprised you hadn't already seen this! For me, the only weak link of the film was the poor resolution.

EDIT: I'm dying to see Moon Fraser, really cannot wait.
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:37 pm

HP: THBP

Surprisingly enjoyable, was a fan of the books when I was younger, but hated the films up until now. Become rather disenfranchised with the series, but I found this installment to be very accomplished. Great humour, a few epic scenes with only some overdone teenage romance bits to drag it down. Surprising.

7/10

Fargo

I've never quite decided if I like the Coen brother's films or not. I couldn't stand the Big Lebowski and struggled with Burn After Reading. Loved No Country. This one manages to get closer to the top and I found it to be haunting for the most part, and at times beautifully poetic. Occasionally funny, chilling throughout. A classic, no doubt.

8/10
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Burn After Reading I can understand but The Big Lebowski is fucking awesome. Hang your head in shame! Now go watch The Hudsucker Proxy, O Brother Where art Thou and Raising Arizona then make a decision. Unless it's the wrong one.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:42 pm

The Big Lebowski is absolutely fantastic.
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:46 pm

I've got Miller's Crossing yet to watch of films I've bought. Will probably watch it soon.

As for the Machinist, I've been looking for it for almost a year now. Found it in England being solid in a 3 pack along with a couple of other thrillers.

I liked the resolution, I don't see what's so bad about it? Compared to the Lynch films it copies it all makes sense in the end.

As for TBL, me and my cousin watched it together and neither of us really "got it". Maybe because neither of us are slacker surfer dudes, I don't know. The odd giggle, sure, but nothing compared to the hype. Comedies are very hit and miss on the most part for me.

Last edited by Kaptain Kaviar on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:54 pm

I didn't like Lebowski until the second viewing and then it turned me into a fuckwit that orders white Russians at bars.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:57 pm

I enjoyed Burn After Reading, but it pales in comparison to The Big Lebowski. I also recently watched Fargo and thought pretty much the same as you Iain. Probably liked NCFOM a little less, but that could have been because I got slightly lost somewhere in the middle.

If I didn't make it clear enough, go and watch Moon. My third favourite of the year behind Låt den Rätte Komma In and Milk (08 films I know, but came out here in 09).
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:01 pm

I found Let The Right One In to be overrated. Mayhap the fact that I understood the language removed the "subtitled film" effect, I dunno. Still great, but not the astounding piece of work I was hoping to experience. 8/10

Dying to see Moon, but the cinemas around here don't even seem to be planning to screen it! Crying Might have to wait for the Blu-Ray release...

As for Fargo, I just have to say that I bought it on Blu-Ray, and wow! The detail was pretty astounding for an old film like that. I like it when they don't muck about trying to remove grain, but leave the film looking like it should. Beautiful.

My favourite film so far this year is Gran Torino. Conventional, sure, but it ticks all the right boxes.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:06 pm

It was another 5/6er, but it lacked a certain something in my eyes. Still love that joke: "A Mexican, a Jew and a coloured person walk into a bar. Barman says "get the fuck outta here!""

I can barely remember all the films I've seen this year. Che, Rudo Y Cursi and Il Divo spring to mind, but I'm struggling otherwise.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Gran Torino? Really? The Asian actors were awful, especially stood next to Eastwood and I really didn't like it's cinematography but can't be arsed explaining that one in detail, the ending was unsatisfying and then that song starts playing over the credits.
3/5
Enjoyable despite it's flaw, but best of the year? Eastwood fanboyism much?
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 pm

I thought the cinematography was excellent. That church bloke up against the light in the darkened room; holy shit.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Fargo, you know the high angle shot just of the car park, and everywheres covered in snow, and we get the slow wake into frame of Jerry as he walks to his car, and begins scraping it with his scraper thing.

One of my favourite sequences in cinema, i mean its so still, and the white of the snow... i just think it looks incredible.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Gran Torino was a 4/5 from me, as reviewed over at my old blog.

As for my favourite film this year... probably a split between Let The Right One In and Martyrs - two foreign horror movies, funnily enough. Must've seen around 50-100 movies already this year though. Been keeping a close eye on Moon and Lars Von Trier's latest for a while now though, so hopefully they live up.
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Von Triers new movie is supposed to be a mess from what ive read.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 pm

I just counted my IMDB vote history, and I've watched 128 films so far this year Tongue out

This year I've seen:

Harry Potter: THBP
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
Slumdog Millionaire
Synecdoche, New York
Let the Right One In
Bolt
The Spirit
Watchmen
Knowing
Waltz With Bashir
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Revolutionary Road
The Wrestler
Gran Torino
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm hoping to catch Dogville on Tuesday, my local Picturehouse is showing it (I go there all the time, that's where I saw Moon). I'll watch Anti Christ, not sure what to make of the trailers.

Oh, is Synechdoche: New York any good? I missed its run and was pretty gutted.

Oh, and this year I saw Two Lovers! 5/6, fourth in my top list, powerful stuff.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:20 pm

gdf wrote:I thought the cinematography was excellent. That church bloke up against the light in the darkened room; holy shit.
I think my disinterest in Asians and their culture might have taken away a lot from my experience. That Asian gang in their souped up Jap car and fucking idiotic appearance and all the ones (plus the blacks) outside Toad's house were pretty sterotyped with dialogue written by someone who thinks that's how these kids be talking today when they aint too busy talking to hands and whatnot pissed me off too.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:22 pm

As for Gran Torino, I'm sure I'd not have liked the half as much had Clint been replaced. I'll admit to being a fanboy in that regard. It just felt like a wonderful summary of what his man with no name character had become, a modern conclusion to his western adventures. Dirty Harry and Blondie retired and given an epilogue.

I know alot of people dislike the asian acting, but I personally thought it seemed natural for the most part. But Clint carried the movie, no doubt. The cinematography was intentionally unshowy, the colours muted. The dialogue and narrative channeled as simply as possible.

I thought it was funny. I was moved. And I loved the song at the end. And I personally give Gran Torino a 9/10.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:23 pm

@Sean

I'd agree with that to an extent, but a lot of Clint's dialogue compensated.

*Glance*... "That old hag hates me."

I suppose your enjoyment hangs on how much capacity you have to appreciate Eastwood as a badass one more time.

Damn Iain, that song was pretty awful for me. In fact, I think I'll lower the overall grade to 4/6, Seany's swayed me on some stuff.

Last edited by gdf on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:24 pm

DanglyBrasco wrote:Von Triers new movie is supposed to be a mess from what ive read.

Total Film were total cunts (lul c wut i did thar) about it, to the point that they resorted to personal insults with that interview. I'm starting to think a devoted Christian wrote the review. Empire gave a much more balanced 4-star review of it, therefore I'm still looking forward to it in all its pretentious glory.

Also, the dialogue and general performance level in Gran Torino dragged the film down for me, but on a whole the cinematography was excellent, as you noted Fraser. And Eastwood pulled off a great performance... but shit, I've already written all this in a review before.

Dogville is awesome, Von Trier's best.
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Synechdoche: New York. I watched it with unbelievably high expectations after Empire's 5 star review, but ended up agreeing more with Total Film's 4 stars.

Kaufman is a talented writer, no doubt about that. Eternal Sunshine, Being John Malkovich (Favourite) and Adaptation are all very original and innovative.

Now Synechdoche: New York is probably his strangest and most surreal piece of work. I'd try to explain it, but I doubt I can. It feels a bit pretentious at times, but ultimately there are some interesting points in it. But it's weird. Very fucking weird. Worth watching? Oh yes.

8/10
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:28 pm

I concur. A second viewing really benefits, as you will have gathered Iain.
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Dogville is a fantastic film, a 9/10 from me. I knew what to expect when I went into it, so the chalk houses didn't bother me. The intentionally unconventional cutting and filming did however. Cutting in the middle of pans just gets to me.

As for Anti-Christ I'm a bit on the fence whether or not I want to see it. I know I have to at some point, but I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to the sexual mutation stuff. One day.

Will probably buy Synechdoche: New York when it comes out on DVD in the UK, I rented it from Lovefilm in Norway (it came out in may on DVD), so I can give it another watch.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next