Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metroid: Other M

5 posters

Go down

Metroid: Other M Empty Metroid: Other M

Post by Black Suede Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Metroid: Other M 500x_metroid_other_m_artwork

Developer: Nintendo/Team Ninja (Project M)
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Wii
Release Date: 3rd September 2010

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one getting this, but it's out this week and I can't wait. The first direct/proper sequel to one of my favourite games ever: Super Metroid, and that was back in 1994. I've waited a long time.

The reviews so far have been pretty good, some slightly mixed.

Game Informer - Metroid: Other M is the most disappointing Nintendo release in quite some time and a blemish that isn't likely to be forgotten on an otherwise superb franchise - 6.25

Destructiod - Metroid enthusiasts won't want to miss this, and nothing I could write could encourage them to take a pass. But to put it bluntly, Other M simply doesn't meet the high-quality standards fans have come to expect from not only the franchise, but from Nintendo's routinely-spectacular first-party line-up - 6.5

IGN - A huge step forward for Nintendo, a company that's been reluctant to push story over gameplay...An excellent experience with great, intense action and an engaging story that turns one of Nintendo's beloved characters into something more than a kick-ass bounty hunter - 8.5

Joystiq - At first, I wasn't sure that Metroid: Other M would be a proper Metroid game or even a fun one, but as its action intensified over the course of the adventure, it didn't take me long to dismiss the second concern. As for whether or not it's Metroid ... I finished the game with a 45-percent completion rate, and I'm currently going back through the map looking for hidden Energy and Missile Tanks. You tell me - 4.5/5

39 reviews - 80%

Last edited by Black Suede on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Metroid: Other M Empty Re: Metroid: Other M

Post by Dingo Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:02 pm

I really like the look of this actually. Sadly, a lack of funds and far too many games in my back catalogue means I'll be giving it a miss for the time being.
Dingo
Dingo

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 pm

The opening cinematic is epic. I cried nostalgic tears.

Anyway, played just over 2 hours, and while I'm enjoying it, I can see why it's taken quite a bashing from some. Right from the get-go the controls are a bit hard to grasp, I knew switching to first-person mode by turning the Wii remote around would prove jarring. Your also stationary while your in this mode, so it can be a nightmare when fighting fast enemies. Although, after about an hour, it became second nature, but it's still something they should have maybe went back to the drawing board with.

The second thing is; the cut-scenes. While they are absolutely gorgeous to look at, some of the best I've ever seen, it kinda breaks up the flow. I dunno if they shorten over the period of the game, but at the beginning of the game, it takes something like 10 minutes before you get some gameplay, and then it was only a few seconds until another lengthy one took over. It's been better in the last hour though.

I can't say too much else, but buy this game if you're a fan of Metroid, or are at least interested in it, don't let some of the reviews put you off. While what some say is true, it's hardly as bad as they make out.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by weeble Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 am

I liked Metroid from the last gen, but i really don't think ill get this just because of the controller.
I really cant get to grips with the wii controller and all that motion crap.
The only game i play on it is House of the Dead. Overkill and that's cos i has a gun.

Why couldn't they make it so it used just the classic controller? I want this game, but not enough to preserver with a controller i cant use.
weeble
weeble

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:36 pm

One thing I really don't like is how you gain new suits and upgrades, etc. You already have them unlocked (from discovering them on Planet Zebes) but you can't use them until you are authorized by the Captain. It's such a crap way to do it. I loved exploring the areas and discovering them on the other games.

Anyway, I must be 5-6 hours into it, now I can use the Varia Suit, Speed Booster, Wave Beam, Ice Beam, Shinespark, and all that, so the games opened up a lot more now. Kinda just makes me want to play Super Metroid though.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 am

I know I'm silly, but I've just realised that the controls are the same as my Master System days: just the d-pad and 2 buttons. So cool.

Nearing the end now I think. It has a pretty lukewarm start and OK middle, but now it's all systems go, go, go! It's no Super Metroid, but it's a great way of spicing up the Metroid foundations. Think of 2D Metroid mixed with Ninja Gaiden's breakneck speed blockbuster action, and then sprinkled with the Prime series FPS view scanning shindig.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:39 pm

I miss gaming :'(
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 pm

I finished this the other day. It lets you go back after the ending to find the items that you may have missed... and I managed to find the ones I had all within a few hours! It really wasn't that challenging, mainly because it TELLS YOU where they are on your map, you just have to find out how to get to them. So yeah, I've already got 100% on it. You unlock Hard mode by doing so, so I've started a new game on that. You can't increase your health tanks or missles in this mode... Shocked

Anyway, good game, once it got going I started to really enjoy it. It's the story, voice acting, and overall structure on how you unlock your upgrades that puts it down. No Metroid fan should miss out on it though.

[7]
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:32 am

I want it, completed every metroid game upto prime 2 then the wii happened and I fucking hated them. Metroid should be 2D imho... Still havn't played one that matches up to Super Metroid, Metroid fusion was pretty nice but that's probably the closest... I'll probably pick it up cheap!
Ipso-Shrapnel
Ipso-Shrapnel

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:18 pm

Super Metroid is untouchable. There will never be a better Metroid EVER!
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:58 am

Black Suede wrote:Super Metroid is untouchable. There will never be a better Metroid EVER!

Did you ever play fusion on the GBA? some very nice moments in it / it mixes up the original gameplay which is niiice
Ipso-Shrapnel
Ipso-Shrapnel

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 am

The first and only time I played it was when my cousin was stuck on the final boss so he let me try; ended up doing it first go because I'm awesome like that.

Not one to buy handhelds, but I feel I owe to myself to play through the whole Metroid series.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Black Suede wrote:The first and only time I played it was when my cousin was stuck on the final boss so he let me try; ended up doing it first go because I'm awesome like that.

Not one to buy handhelds, but I feel I owe to myself to play through the whole Metroid series.

It might even be on the Wii Store.. or don't they do handheld games...? tbh you can give return of Samus a miss... (i.e. metroid 2) it's not the best...
Ipso-Shrapnel
Ipso-Shrapnel

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm

Ipso-Shrapnel wrote:It might even be on the Wii Store.. or don't they do handheld games...? tbh you can give return of Samus a miss... (i.e. metroid 2) it's not the best...

I know Metroid and Super Metroid are on the VC. I'm sure you get Metroid 1 and 2 on the Prime 2 disc.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum