Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommend your favourite childhood games

+7
Dingo
Kaptain Kaviar
maze
Jammer
Dont Look Angry
DanglyBrasco
Seany C
11 posters

Go down

Recommend your favourite childhood games Empty Recommend your favourite childhood games

Post by Seany C Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Jersey Devil

Recommend your favourite childhood games 14myhpe

Story:

We're drawn into the world of Jersey Devil very effectively by this great animated intro before the title screen. If you find the time to watch it you should notice some brilliant characterisation crammed into the short segment (Dr. Knarf remains one of my favourite video game villains to this day).
The rest of the cut scenes happen briefly in game before and after boss battles. The narrative seems to take place mainly before the game starts and after you've killed the final boss but the world kind of tells a story as you experience it but overall your motivation to defeat Knarf propels you through the entire game.

3/6

Gameplay:

The gameplay is absolutely fantastic but short of flawless. The platforming is great due to your characters tiny wings being able to glide him across short distances meaning you often have to look to the distance to see where you have to go next. A lot of the excitement of the platforming lends itself to the environments you're gliding around but, again, we'll get to that when I talk about level design. The combat is okay but you only have one basic Crash Bandicoot style spin attack which can feel fiddly to use again certain enemy types. The camera can sometimes be your enemy, especially when doing precision platforming or enemy combat in confined areas. To be honest the overall experience the game offers you when you combine all its elements vastly overshadow the fact you'll occasionally miss a ledge or a hit on an enemy. Let's just say I can't recall once in the game being generally frustrated at the controls, although I'd be lying if I said I didn't have one or two undeserved death (that's what extra lives are for though right?) due to the camera.
Your enemies range from mutated vegetables to human sized rat creatures to dinosaurs to Aztec warriors to Frankenstein monsters to poo bombing seagulls etc etc etc. There's a lot of enemy variations for every level with only the vegetable type enemies reoccurring generally. To progress through the many areas of a level (almost levels within themselves) you will need to collect the letters K, N, A, R and F as they unlock the door that keeps you from progressing. Whilst this could sound tedious on paper this often means exploration, puzzles and defeating certain enemies, it never feels like a chore. For the completists there are 99 nitro crates to destroy per the two main paths in any given level. Collecting them all will show JD destroying the boss's lair with a nitro bottle upon defeating them and increase your p (power) level.
Overall this game has plenty to keep you occupied and you'll be grateful it did.

5/6

Sound:

The music in this game is wonderful, an absolute delight to the ears and owes a lot to the character and atmosphere that make this game so memorable. You'll feel a breadth of emotions through this game, from epic crescendos to slower and more silent themes that evoke a feeling of isolation and loneliness as the atmosphere is rather apocalyptic due to lack of any life but that of enemies. Speaking of enemies each have their own individual sound which you'll come to recognise, as well as plenty of environmental sounds which converge to make brilliant atmospheres.
I've linked some of my favourite level themes should you wish to listen: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

6/6

Graphics:

For a PS1 game the graphics are sublime. With plenty of shape and definition you never find yourself trying to make out what the hell you're looking at. It's all very neat and preety, not to mention vibrant and varied. The art desgn itself is fantastic and the games enjoyment owes a lot to the syle and presentation which has this bitter-sweet Halloweeny vibe throughout. See level design for more.

6/6

Level Design:

The true highlight of the game, paired with the music. The world of Jersey Devil is gleefully atmospheric, charismatic and fantastical. Each level has two main paths and a secret path. The secondary path is always blocked until you complete it the first time but then you can revisit the level and the first area will have changed somehow, for example the spinning dome on top of the museum in the first level has stopped allowing you to use the door on said dome. The two paths are always completely different, for example one level sees you revisiting Knarf's mansion which you blew up in the intro. First time round you get into his family crypt and find an entrance to secret catacombs in one of the coffins. Within you have to defeat his eccentric ancestors in mini boss battles before making your way to the boss whereas the second time round you can now cross the pond that was previously inaccessible and ascend the mountain his mansion rests on. The secret paths are normally noticeable enough as they are marked with what p level you have to be to access them. This makes collecting the optional nitro crates worthwhile as they lead to fun bonus levels in which you slide down steep paths littered with goodies such as extra lives amongst the vines, gaps and obstacles in your way, great for when you need a few extra lives in a jiffy.
Overall the environments are beautifully stylised and bring a lot of character to the game.

6/6

Overall:
My all time favourite platformer as well as one of the most obscure I know. I've completed it recently and it's still a great game and an adventure I wish many more people had embarked upon.

6/6

Recommend your favourite childhood games 21maxc1
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Recommend your favourite childhood games Empty Re: Recommend your favourite childhood games

Post by Seany C Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:41 am

Holy shit, how high do you have to be to review a game and not even recall doing so? lol
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Recommend your favourite childhood games Empty Re: Recommend your favourite childhood games

Post by DanglyBrasco Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:11 pm

Lolz.

I liked Klonoa.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Dont Look Angry Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:24 pm

Daffy Duck : Marvin Missions

Quality game
Dont Look Angry
Dont Look Angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Recommend your favourite childhood games 366874_28182_front
One of the most underrated games on the N64. It was right up there with Mario Kart in my mind.

Jammer

http://www.knights-of-curtainia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maze Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:55 pm

The best 16-bit platformer, fuck Mario & Sonic. Has the best videogame music too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2cLDX-3K-Y
Recommend your favourite childhood games Rocket-knight-adventure1
Shame the new one on PSN/XBLA looks rubbish, Konami blow these days.
maze
maze

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Yeah I wanted to try out Rocket Knight but when I saw it was all 3D'd up I lost interest. Was it a remake or what?

Klonoa was the shit, anyone play Tombi?
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maze Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Nah it's a whole new game, looks like the devs didn't even play the original.

Tombi was great, I had both of those on PS1.
maze
maze

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Never got to play the second. Man I'd love for those to become PS1 classics as well as Klonoa.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Hocus Pocus

Amazingly atmospheric and exciting, this little puzzle platformer kept me occupied for many hours in DOS. Was at times immensely creepy and the game world always gave you a feeling of foreboding and isolation (after this first level). The many power-ups were always fun and the combat very entertaining at the time. Magical!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Anyone ever play the Dizzy games. I can't remember anything about the one I played except that you play as an egg and it was awesome.

There's a bunch of them which makes it much harder to know which one I loved lol.
Dingo
Dingo

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:00 am

Dingo wrote:There's a bunch of them which makes it much harder to know which one I loved lol.

Recommend your favourite childhood games 303879
Rebellious Backbencher
Rebellious Backbencher

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 am

Is that Joey's sisters?
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 am

Yessir. I did a reference, is what I did.
Rebellious Backbencher
Rebellious Backbencher

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Recommend your favourite childhood games 666169-fantasticdizzy_large

Dizzy was the business!

I think it was that one I had on the Master System, and it was one of the hardest games I've ever played. Great soundtrack too.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Haha, I had that on C64 when I was a kid. Way too young to remember which, like Dingo.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:30 pm

depends on the system and depends on how long you consider childhood to last Wink

anyways.... 1 image and 1 quick summary for each!

C64 - Rampage
Recommend your favourite childhood games 2533744204_a1b610bf80

Ahh the Commodore 64... My brother's chunky, dusty and frustratingly slow "personal computer" that played games not on floppy's like the later Amiga, but off tapes. Crazy shit. I don't know what it was, but back then... it really seemed sensible to wait 20 minutes for a game to load. I don't know if the wait was what made the game so satisfying, but smashing the fuck out of a city made of pixely squares was something that got me hooked on gaming.

Amiga - Simon the Sorcerer
Recommend your favourite childhood games SimonTheSorcerer

My first point and click adventure game that I couldn't really play alone so got to play with my brother... until he sold it. I then baught it again afew years later in a car boot and loved it. It's no monkey island, but it's still rather classy!

NES - Bubble Bobble.
Recommend your favourite childhood games 250px-Bubble_Bobble_nes_box

It involved 2 buttons and directions. First game I ever completed and forced my mother to play it with me all day... first video game I could independently sit and play for hours. Dispite having a frustratingly difficult end boss, I loved starting it again and again. Simple gameplay, nice graphics / character design and a not TOO annoying score make this my all time favorite time waster.

SNES - Turtles In Time.
Recommend your favourite childhood games 1091224246-00
I didn't even pick this. My brother baught it when he was 12 or so, which is just a testament to how bloody amazing it was. Turtles was undoubtedly for kids but as we'd never been exposed to streets of rage or golden axe (well, not until a few years later...), turtles in time took the side scrolling beat 'em, something we hadn't played since the NES and made it fucking awesome! Graphics was awesome, game play was really fun and it was genuinely quite funny in parts (I used to run around the house screaming "my toe! my toe!"). Unfortunately, much like MA$E, Konami has bastardized my all time favorite game into some 3D monstrocity that seems hollow in comparison with the original. If you get a chance to get this for the SNES / a rom, give it a play, its hours of fun Smile

Last edited by Ipso-Shrapnel on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ipso-Shrapnel
Ipso-Shrapnel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Didn't they release the original turtles in time on arcade? Or was that another Turtles 2D sidescroller beat em up thingy
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:01 pm

that was the first arcade game mate, the 1980s one... still wicked, no turtles in time though!
Ipso-Shrapnel
Ipso-Shrapnel

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:24 pm

DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Yeah, man, that's one game that always comes to mind.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Really??
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah, I remember my cousin lent it off someone back in the day and we had loads of fun on it. Always wanted to play again but haven't since.
Black Suede
Black Suede

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Pandemonium feels like a platformer that should definitely be more remembered. It was awesome. Only played the OPSM demo for Pandemonium 2 though.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 pm

I thought Pandemonium was good back in the day (the sequel wasn't too shabby either) but it's dated horribly.
Ipso-Shrapnel
Ipso-Shrapnel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down