Alan Wake

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Alan Wake

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel on Fri May 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Black Suede wrote:
JokerJamie wrote:Yeh I'm getting the collector's edition today. Looks sweet. And only 5 more expensive. Is it actually scary Suede? I'm excited now, but I'm getting Skate 3 today too, so I'll wait to play Alan Wake tonight.

It's not particularly scary, but when the darkness overcomes the forest and the trees start swaying from side to side and there's strange noises all around you; it's a pretty unsettling atmosphere.

Anyway, on the fifth episode now, I think that's the last one (I think that's about 5-7 hours now, Ipso, pretty average length), leaving it for later. There is quite a bit of repetition, and some of the design is pretty 1999 like some review said. I won't say I'm disappointed, I think even for a 5 year wait I'm pretty happy with it, but you can tell they probably would to have liked more time to polish it a bit more. I feels completely different to anything I've played this gen, I can't wait to see what the twist is, the story has been so weird.

If this is the end, though, the gameplay could have been a bit more varied than shine a torch at the enemy, shoot once there vulnerable, press buttons, ect.

Most should just wait for Red Dead and wait for this to come down in price, or rent it if they really want to play it, but everyone else who has been waiting 5 years like me will most likely be happy with it.

Probably looking at a 7.

Thank the lord for love film...
Ipso-Shrapnel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Fri May 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Actually there are six episodes, leaving the finale for tomorrow, can't wait.

bomby wrote:have to admit, the pretty boring screenshots which seem to feature a bloke with tourch a million times over have put me off this.

There's nothing actually wrong with the combat mechanics, it's actually pretty solid and fun, it's just most of the time you repeat the same thing over and over. Some of the best parts are when you're with people, could easily be a good co-op game - one uses the torch, the other the gun, or both have a torch and gun. It gets pretty tense when you are surrounded.

It does have it's moments of greatness, remember a 7 is still a solid score, I just try and use the whole scale these days. I can't really give a full verdict until a finish anyway, so just take what I'm saying not too heavily at the moment.

There are some pretty cool references in this, one is Max Payne, It's not really a spoiler but they've made it so Alan Wake wrote Max Payne, and they actually make out that Max Payne 2 was the last Max Payne. So I guess Rockstar can go fuck themselves. Also, Sam Lake just appeared on the TV with Alan Wake and he did his Max Payne 1 constipated face, ha ha. It's actually pretty cool to hear the voice actor for Max Payne in this, honestly, it's all a big mind fuck at the minute.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel on Fri May 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Still wanna pick it up... enjoyed dead space so much that my grading of survival horror will be changed forever...
Ipso-Shrapnel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie on Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 pm

I only got to finish chapter 1 today. Most of the day, as predicted, was spent playing Skate 3. This seems solid so far though in fairness. Nothing spectacular really, but good fun. I'm already getting fucked about by the story so yeah, should be interesting to see where it goes.

I started it on hard, couldn't handle it (it really is HARD), so dropped down to normal and I feel a but more comfortable now. Already been some intense sections. The combat works well, but like you've been saying Suede I can see it getting a little repetitive. I'll be honest, I was hoping for a little bit more...I'm only slightly disappointed though. It is good, and I'm expecting to be creeped out a bit, but Ipso, it's no Dead Space.
JokerJamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ipso-Shrapnel on Fri May 14, 2010 11:08 pm

JokerJamie wrote: it's no Dead Space.

And as i've viewed the teaser for 2 about 80 times already, this is where I not only call it as GOTY 2011, but say "meh" to Alan Wake. I'll pick it up in a few weeks.
Ipso-Shrapnel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Fri May 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't call Alan Wake a survival horror.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Sat May 15, 2010 2:22 pm

This game has the best credit music like, listening to the bonus soundtrack disc now actually, great stuff.

I still didn't get the story, I really didn't, I'll have to go through it again, and I wish the gameplay has changed a little, shame really. Could have been something really good with the great atmosphere and different approach to the narrative.

7/10

Alan Wake 2 confirmed.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomby on Sat May 15, 2010 2:40 pm

well that settles it, ill buy bioshock 2 instead.

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie on Sun May 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Just started chapter 3. It's good so far. I love the end of each chapter, and the 'previously on Alan Wake' thing at the start. I can see myself needing that as a re-cap of what is going on in the story towards the end. I'm also reading the Alan Wake Files book you get with the collector's edition, and it really helps with understanding the characters etc. Chapters are sooooo long.
JokerJamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 am

Episodes, man, episodes. Wink

I started a new game on Nightmare the other day, near the end of episode 2 now - it's not been too difficult, to be honest, and I'm finding myself enjoying a little bit more the second time round.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie on Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 am

I think its good, but I can't really see myself playing through it twice...Some parts are really creepy too, which I like. And I love how the manuscript can really help build the tension and the atmosphere. For example;

*Spoilers*

Reaching a checkpoint after a fairly intense journey weaving through bear traps and cautiously expelling some flares and bullets, I started up a generator, turning on a light, illuminating a manuscript page in the distance. Reading it genuinely gave me a shiver. It warned of a moment when Wake felt safe, out of the woods and the danger apparently, until he heard the chainsaw. For the rest of the episode I was walking on eggshells. It was a brilliant half an hour or so, when I was genuinely terrified of everything! I kinda wanted to turn off the flashlight and just stand there in the dark so I didn't have to see anything...I hope there are some more moments like this to come.
JokerJamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie on Thu May 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Just finished it last night. Got fairly grueling towards the end because the combat was just so repetitive. I also have NO idea what happened at the end?? I'd probably have to agree with your 7, suede.
JokerJamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:23 pm

Just got his game. Played it to chapter 3 during the middle of the night. Ace! Loving the story, very well written, interesting and very meta. Some Max Payne references there too. So far it's been worth the wait!
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:33 pm

I won this! Hopefully it will be here soon and I'll let you all know what I think Smile
Dingo

View user profile http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bomby on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:24 pm

you didnt win it in the sun or something did you dingo?

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Haha no lol. I won it at a different forum, collectors edition and everything Smile
Dingo

Back to top Go down

Post by bomby on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 pm

nice one. im hoping to get another star letter from x360 this month, i could do with a copy of AVP.

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Finished it! Man what a cool game. So intelligent with lots of meta-depth with its references to structures in TV series and literature.

An extremely clever game with a great story, inventive mechanics and plenty of mature elements. This is a real game for grown ups, while the likes of GTA is not.

What keeps it from being a classic is, amusingly, it's fresh gameplay mechanic. Yes, shining your torch on the enemies before blasting them is pretty clever. Problem is, that it just isn't as FUN as diving around in slow motion Max Payne style. And to be honest that's the only element that wears thin towards the end, as you'll be very satisfied atmospherically, aurally, graphically and storywise. Only problem is that fun is the most important aspect of the game. Not that it completely vanishes, but repetition does become a fact, something I'm feeling with Red Dead too.

On the whole though this is an amazing game and a landmark in videogame history. This is a game that dares blend genres and mediums and because of it becomes a title that can only actually work as a game. And that's very cool.

8/10
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Glad to hear you like it. Really happy to see that it holds up in terms of plot and narrative; that's what always appealed to me Smile
Dingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 am

I've just finished Chapter 4 and I'm really enjoying this. I love the whole TV show narrative and I like the way the manuscripts have been implemented - can make things pretty tense. Also, the soundtrack is brilliant.

Like many have said, the gameplay does get a little repetitive which can make things a tad boring but story wise it's great; really looking forward to finding out how it ends.
Dingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:06 am

I love this song off the OST:

I'm gonna try get through this again after finishing some other games off. Get ready for the DLC.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:12 am

I have the entire soundtrack donwloaded, it's fab. The best songs in my opinion are the originales composed by the "Anderson brothers". Both of them are great!
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top