Which is better overall

75% 75% 
[ 3 ]
25% 25% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 4

Physical special effects or CGI?

Post by Seany C on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:18 am

Personally I hate CGI for the most part. Say you have a monster movie, its intention is to scare the audience, I'd find a shoddy looking physicaly there monster much more effective than a CGI monster. CGI characters feel so hollow and weightless, like holograms drifting around the screen, I just don't see the point in CGI where you could use physical effects. If something is only attainable or better for being done with CGI then fair enough (Transformers is an example of a film that couldn't exist with out CGI as making working Transformers is impossible, oh, and that Terminator from Judgement Day).
Physical effects are just much more immersive and involving, you can feel their physical presence, you can be drawn in to the world more and not have to suspend disbelief on behest of shitty CGI characters and creatures and what not that fucking clash so hard with all the physically there shit on the screen.
In summary, fuck your tacky 3D bullshit, physical effects always were and always will be boss.
Seany C
Admin

View user profile http://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Physical special effects or CGI?

Post by DanglyBrasco on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:17 am

Pans labyrinth and Hellboy make me want to agree with you.

Starship troopers and Minority report make me want to not.

Theres good for both, CGI can help create a worl that would be impossible, and in the hands of the right directors can be an invaluable tool. For other films, CGI may be used shoddily and can ruin the effect. Almost EXACTLY the same as real life action.

I've nothing against CGI in the slightest, if used correctly.
DanglyBrasco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:50 am

I watched Starship Troopers last night, that was a nice mix of physical/CGI and falls under the category of couldn't be done without CGI in regards to the 6 legged scarab monsters the size of a house and what not. But if they could make a working animatronic house sized scarab creature that shits blue plasma I'd rather watch that version than the CGI one.
Seany C
Admin

View user profile http://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top