Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nintendo 64

+4
gdf
DanglyBrasco
Dingo
GearsCT
8 posters

Go down

Nintendo 64 Empty Nintendo 64

Post by GearsCT Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Just got an emulator for my PC so I can play some classics at the moment I have Goldeneye, DK 64 and Star Fox 64

What else should I get?
GearsCT
GearsCT

Back to top Go down

Nintendo 64 Empty Re: Nintendo 64

Post by Dingo Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:37 am

ZELDA!!! Not played it myself but will do one day!
Dingo
Dingo

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 am

Zelda, Mario 64, Pilotwings, Banjo, Mario Tennis, Body Harvest, Snowboard Kids, ExciteBike, Pokemon Snap, Rakuga Kids, Turok and Rogue Squadron.

I own all of these aside Excitebike, i love all of them. I love the N64.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 am

Gotta be the Banjos and Mario Tennis. You must have played at least Ocarina of Time, Gears?

My dad's favourite game was Doom 64 cat

Get an N64, the controller is amazing.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:26 am

Played 10 minutes of OoT using an emulator and my PS3 controller. What's so special about it? Too childish, all the characters have patronizingly simple dialogue, I hate playing as Zelda too, he's not an appealing or relatable protagonist. Gameplay didn't really keep me entertained. Overrated I must say.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:33 am

Seany C wrote:Played 10 minutes of OoT using an emulator and my PS3 controller. What's so special about it? Too childish, all the characters have patronizingly simple dialogue, I hate playing as Zelda too, he's not an appealing or relatable protagonist. Gameplay didn't really keep me entertained. Overrated I must say.

Zelda is a girl. A princess no less.

And also, you only played 10 minutes? How can you judge it to be so overrated after 10 minutes? Id say Far Cry 2 was overrated after 10 minutes. Id say The Godfather was ovverrated judging by the first 10 minutes.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:40 am

DanglyBrasco wrote:Zelda is a girl. A princess no less.
You fell for the troll bait.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:41 am

I really do not care. I'm correcting someone on the internet, good times.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:19 pm

gdf wrote:
DanglyBrasco wrote:Zelda is a girl. A princess no less.
You fell for the troll bait.

Quite sure?
I think that's too subtle to be considered bait. If I put a delicious meal on the end of a fishing rod, and a fish comes and enjoys said meal and swims away, I haven't won.
Rebellious Backbencher
Rebellious Backbencher

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:40 pm

I don't really have the right to say it's overrated until I complete it but seeing as I can't bare to make it past the first 10 due to bordeom levels reaching their threshold this will be my assumption. If it was the best game ever made then surely I would of been compelled to find my way out of the hollowed out log maze.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by maze Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 pm

OoT is not all that good, like most first party games on the console it's highly overrated because Sony took all the 3rd party developers away. Majoras Mask however, is quite under-appreciated and the best 3D Zelda game.
maze
maze

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:30 pm

maze wrote:OoT is not all that good, like most first party games on the console it's highly overrated because Sony took all the 3rd party developers away. Majoras Mask however, is quite under-appreciated and the best 3D Zelda game.

I almost whole heartedly disagree. Not about Majora's Mask being brilliant, or underrated, but about OOT. Its simply fantastic, and by your reasoning, the only reason Mario 64 was rated so highly was because there was no other alternative? Or Goldeneye was only considered good because, again, there was scarce else to compare it to. OOT was, in my opinion, the first time a landscape, and setting was realised so fully, it had an engaging storyline, emotive characters, fun, exciting gameplay, loadsa crap else to do (fishing! Horseriding!). But again, if you didnt experience it first time round, then you will probably never agree.

And Seany, im not saying that you dont have the right, of course you do, im just urging you to play a bit more to get a proper taste before you dismiss it.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by maze Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 pm

I said most. Mario 64 is an excellent game.

Goldeneye is just awful.

This

the first time a landscape, and setting was realised so fully

is the kinda thing im talking about. Anyone with a PSX had already played FFVII a whole year earlier, a game with a far better world, story, characters, music, side stuff blahblah than OoT.
maze
maze

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Yeah, i just disagree then.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by GearsCT Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:45 pm

Ok the emulator is wank,

TO THE CAR BOOT SALES!
GearsCT
GearsCT

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:58 pm

DanglyBrasco wrote:Zelda, Mario 64, Pilotwings, Banjo, Mario Tennis, Body Harvest, Snowboard Kids, ExciteBike, Pokemon Snap, Rakuga Kids, Turok and Rogue Squadron.

I own all of these aside Excitebike, i love all of them. I love the N64.
Snowboard Kids was a fucking ace game. Much better than Mario Kart imho.

Jammer

http://www.knights-of-curtainia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:32 pm

maze wrote:
is the kinda thing im talking about. Anyone with a PSX had already played FFVII a whole year earlier, a game with a far better world, story, characters, music, side stuff blahblah than OoT.

I'm going to say straight up that FFVII has one of the greatest settings in the history of media. Hyrule is a fairly stereotypical fantasy kingdom, but it's realised so well. The characters in FFVII were garbage. Not that I don't have some residual affection for them, but Barret was Mr. T, Cloud was a typical douchebag abrasive asshole, Aeris was an empty vessel, even Sepiroth was uninteresting as a villain - and those are the main characters. I'm not saying Ocarina had the greatest character development arcs of all time, but for the most part you were introduced to characters as Link was (even Navi and Epona). It was a wide-eyed fantasy adventure and I forged emotional attachments far more readily because it assumes less of the player's prior knowledge. Gaia was a very well established universe to come into. Plus there's the inherent problem of being a role-playing game. Visible interface systems are far less intrusive in Zelda by nature, and the size of the kingdom was perfect, encouraging exploration but never feeling too big. Random battles mean that's not possible, and less direct character control makes an experience inherently less immersive. FFVII was a stunning cinematic experience, and remains so to this day, but it can't compare to Ocarina of Time as an interactive, player-involved quest.

As for the music, that's entirely subjective. I'm not sure which I prefer, Zelda's is more light-hearted and generally simplistic, but it's infectious and fits well (not that it doesn't have its fair share of epic orchestral stuff). FFVII's soundtrack is amazing and adds to the atmosphere an awful lot, but I'm not sure if it's "better" in the sense you mean.

Also, side-stuff? Seriously? Side-quests aren't really the kind of thing that can be compared, especially across genres. There's more systemised side-stuff in FFVII, Chocobos for instance, but the scope of its world allows that. Ocarina has more one-off type side quests, but they're arguably equally or more fulfilling for that.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum