Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uncharted 2

+9
01casey
DanglyBrasco
Kaptain Kaviar
Moozo
Dingo
gdf
weeble
maze
Seany C
13 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Uncharted 2 - Page 5 Empty Re: Uncharted 2

Post by DanglyBrasco Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:08 pm

So, its not worthy of the 21/20 then?
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Which motherfucker gave it 21/20?
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

https://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Nearing the end of it, and although it's the shiniest game I've ever played that doesn't make up for the fact that it's not much more than a Tomb Raider hybrid with forgettable combat. The story is good fun, although it might be more interesting if it didn't want to be Indiana Jones so badly. Entertaining, but let's not kid us into thinking it's much more than that. Will be forgotten by january, if not before.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 pm

It's kind of ridiculous how the only site with any credibility when it comes to big time PS3 exclusives seems to be gamer.no at the moment. I don't get how this and Killzone 2 both seem to be drowning in the adoration of the universal gaming press.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:44 pm

The French PSM3 gave it 21/20.
DanglyBrasco
DanglyBrasco

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:46 pm

The gaming press gets more hyperbolic by the year. That's arguably worse than the Italian Nintendo magazine that gave Super Mario Galaxy an 11.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:48 pm

At least Galaxy was a 9/10 game as opposed to a glossy 7-8.

Ah well. At least it's considerably better than Tomb Raider: Underworld.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Maybe they're all just easily pleased numpties with no idea of how to properly critically analyse games.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by weeble Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Moozo wrote:'Having a go' will be meh, you need the full experience. The gameplay alone isn't good enough to be amazing.

Played the first for a good few hours and it was crap imho...this, well more of the same tbh.
weeble
weeble

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:25 pm

The first was fairly crap.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:34 pm

gdf wrote:Maybe they're all just easily pleased numpties with no idea of how to properly critically analyse games.

That's a pretty depressing thought. I'm counting on you to counter that trend Fraser!
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:16 pm

Pff, not likely. I'm going to be marking on a thousand point scale (using only 700 upwards, naturally) with Graphics, Replay Value and Fun Factor sub-scores. I'll also be taking bribes all over the place and marry a Nintendo PR lady.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by maze Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:22 pm

Mario Galaxy and Uncharted 2 are the best games of this gen for sure.

Gaming press knows whats up Cool
maze
maze

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:12 am

gdf wrote:Pff, not likely. I'm going to be marking on a thousand point scale (using only 700 upwards, naturally) with Graphics, Replay Value and Fun Factor sub-scores. I'll also be taking bribes all over the place and marry a Nintendo PR lady.

You better give Grand Theft Auto V a 1001/1000
Dingo
Dingo

http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:05 pm

I thought things could get interesting for a while when Chloe said "You don't always have to play the bloody hero y'know" and thought Drake might take the less than 100% morally fortified path but alas he keeps going on trying to save everyone with no concern for himself in a one dimensional fashion. His character was more realistic in the first game for the bit where he tells Elena he wants to ditch the mission and get off the island because he fears for their lives but this game takes a step back and he just lacks the depth to be anything other than a line delivery device who occasionally babbles some exposition in the cut scenes.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:58 am

Is Uncharted 2 the biggest step back so far for gaming since the cut-scene was introduced?

After having finished this game last night I was left wondering what the experience had really given me. The majority of the really cool moments were all cut-scenes. And even when I was the one doing the moves I never truly felt like it was thanks to any kind of skill. Why is it that platforming games no longer require platforming? I first remember this trend in Assassins Creed where the player didn't have to time anything whatsoever. Fortunately the mechanic was combined with things like being chased so it worked to a certain degree. Then we had Prince of Persia, a game so streamlined a monkey could complete it. Games are more like QTA sequences only you don't have a time limit anymore.

The gunplay in Uncharted is admittedly enjoyable, but it's hardly anything other than terribly generic. Halo 3: ODST is far superior when it comes to combat mechanics and works a lot better than Uncharted 2 when it comes to creating exciting set pieces where the player gets to determine how to defeat the enemy using personal tactics.

Is Uncharted 2 really that much of a game? Or is it just a film with an illusion of control?

Not to say that I didn't enjoy it. The game was above average in the entertainment department, the graphics lush and the cinematic angles a guilty pleasure for my cinematic side. But I was constantly accompanied by a part of me nagging for something more; the part of me that has been playing video games as long as I can remember and which is now wondering if they've been completely meshed with cinema's rigorous grip on the narrative.

If Uncharted 2 is to be a symbol of the ideal game then I can but wonder if the game industry is moving in the completely wrong direction.
Kaptain Kaviar
Kaptain Kaviar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:19 am

In some of the climbing sections it's actually impossible to die. I tried pressing circle, I tried jumping in the wrong direction but the game wouldn't let me fail.
I might not have minded watching an interactive film where I follow a linear path and press buttons to perform predetermined actions if the film wasn't a pile of shit relying on special effects to interest the viewer.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:34 am

People on Thunderbolt are pissing me off. Blanket praise for Uncharted 2 I can almost accept, because the rest of the internet is the same. In another thread, though, many of the same people dump all over Call of Duty 4 for being "like a Universal Studios tour" because there's a certain member of the forum that they all grovel to who dislikes it.

I love it when people tell me I only dislike games because they're AAA titles. Modern Warfare is the AAA title, and I think it's amazing.

Also, it's way, way less prescriptive and fucking stupid than Uncharted.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Not one of my favourite games and I probably rate it alongside Uncharted but that last sentence holds true regardless. Uncharted 2 is fucking dumb.
Uncharted 1 was okay. I think I prefer it, but by no means a masterpiece.
Seany C
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:56 am

A couple of chapters remaining of this, and I have to say I've loved every second! Nice fair balance of combat and platforming, and probably just the right length for a game of this nature. I'm a bit of a sucker for narrative in video-games, and although its by no means original, it shits all over the majority of the summer blockbusters in the movie world. So yeah, while it may not be the videogaming revolution many critics suggested, it is most certainly evolution for the genre, and a step in the right direction. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a train sequence this much for starters!

I think I love Nolan North's voice too. Bring on the third!
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 pm

The last chapter is horrible.
Moozo
Moozo

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Finished it earlier. Although I'm a little aggrieved that Naughty Dog took the unnecessary monsters route again, it was inevitable. On a whole though, I really liked the game, very cinematic and a hell of a lot of fun. Think I enjoyed the first instalment a little more, but this is a brilliant sequel.
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:36 am

01casey wrote:cinematic

This word.

Not to pick on you Ryan, you're a smart guy and I know you're not exalting it, but this is the thing that annoyed me in all of the different game of the year discussions. People seemed to list it as a virtue, but good film =/= good game. It's an above average Hollywood film wrapped in a decent set of mechanics that aren't employed thoughtfully or in any interesting ways at all. The art direction, animation, cut scene writing and voice acting and general graphical fidelity - the aesthetics, basically - deserve praise no doubt and certainly make it better, but strip that away and you're left with a pretty vacuous whole. The gameplay sections are essentially filling in the blanks that the movie wouldn't show.

Scott Juster thinks along the same lines, I've commented outlining some grievances there.
gdf
gdf

Back to top Go down

Post by 01casey Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh yeah Fraser, I totally see where you are coming from. I think my growing interest in more cinematic games however lately probably excelled my love for Uncharted 2. I'm not sure whether I'm changing as a gamer or something, I think my more casual attitude towards videogaming may have changed some of the things I look for.
01casey
01casey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum