[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 8

Re: Film club nominations for 25th Sept

Post by mcgugan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:58 pm

easier for this week, but 1. we don't really have enough members to make an effective poll and 2. i'm lazy and making a 10 film list for the first round means I don't have to organise this each week. It also gives people a full week to track down the film for the next discussion, instead of it getting to thursday with no decisions.
I'm just trying to think of ways to iron out the wrinkles we had last week, as although it was fun, it was more than a little abortive. And sean, that's just an example, the list content and order will be up for full discussion. We just need shitloads of nominations now, so mention absolutely any film you think we'd all love to discuss. Frost/Nixon, Rob Zombie's Hallowe'en, a film you just edited together involving your latest shit and a fork, who cares? nominate 'em.
mcgugan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:26 am

I think we should make our decision today so we have a week to see it and then discuss it on Saturday.

I shall abuse the powers bestowed to me and edit a poll into mcgugans' original post. You can work out and organize how we're gonna do this in your own time. Until then I'll go through the grievous effort of making a poll.

I say whatever comes second should be next weeks film.
Seany C
Admin

View user profile http://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mcgugan on Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:36 am

I think the problem with original film club, aside from it being the first one, was that I chose the wrong film. Instead of choosing a film we could discuss, I chose one we could enjoy and rate, which should belong in the recently seen movies reviewed thread. I think all of the suggestions, maybe Perfume aside (sorry, Dangly, I don't think it's as open to interpretation as all the others) would be more discussion-worthy, films which offer either different interpretations or, in the case of Tyson, discussion of an enigmatic and odd individual. I'd love to see and discuss all of the suggestions. My personal suggestion is simply based on the fact that The Fountain is a film which me and the only other person I know who has seen it wildly differ in interpretation on. I'd be happy to disclude it from film club if anyone who has seen it would tell me what they thought it was about, plot wise and meaning wise. I would love for them to tell me my interpretation is wrong and that they have a meaning which makes more sense.

Film Club Credenzatier.
mcgugan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:03 am

Me and a friend watched it some time ago and when we later discussed it we had identical interpretations of it.

Spoilers:
The modern day story is the real one. He searches desperately for a cure to his wife's cancer. She has written a book, mainly to comfort him, as it is a metaphor for why he cannot save her and how it would be better for him to accept her death. The flying bubble is the manifestation of his turbulent feelings, the tree is her and he seeks to keep it alive at all costs, draining her joy of life because he refuses to let her go.

The ending is pretty easy to understand if you follow this line of thought all the way out, and most people I know who've seen it agree to this theory.
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcgugan on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Yeah, my friend's interpretation was the same as yours. I thought it was like this (spoilers):

My theory was that the film showed 2 time lines. In the first, Tommy discovers the cure for aging and lives for millions of years, travelling to Xibalba as a last ditch attempt to revive Izzi through the tree based on Izziís story research. He reaches the star, but Izziís tree dies, and with it, hope. He learns to come to terms with her death before dying in the explosion of the dying star. The second time line diverges when he follows Izzi into the snow. He doesnít discover the cure for death as a result of not attempting the experiment with the monkey and as such loses hope of seeing her again, but learns to come to terms with her death. He finishes her book and lives on without her. The film, in my interpretation, is about the clash between art and science, with Aronofsky supporting art. While science is the main characterís life, itís only through embracing Izziís artistic side that Tommy manages to deal with death, as before he tried to deal with it by relying on science to keep her alive. In timeline 1, he learns only through seeing up close what she could see millions of miles away through a telescope that living in the moment, so to speak, is the only way to live, the way that she lives. He learns from her example and doesnít fear death. In timeline 2, he learns from finishing her book that the pursuit of living longer through science was preventing him from actually living, as he spent most of her last days engaged in research.
mcgugan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:45 pm

So, watch Stalker by friday yes? We'll make it monday if friday is an issue.
Seany C
Admin

View user profile http://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Probably an issue for me..im starting Uni, no idea what il be able to see. I'l pick the film up in the week though, but i dont know if il be able to contribute... Sad
DanglyBrasco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mcgugan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:47 am

We'll make it saturday if it's gonna be an end of the week thing. I think it might be a better discussion this time round, and i reckon people will be into going out on a friday evening. Saturday gives us the full day to discuss.
mcgugan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top