Now Playing...

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Now Playing...

Post by Black Suede on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Not really been playing much recently but I did just finish Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood last week. I've been going through it again to sweep up the remaining achievements. Although, considering I gave it a 6/10 - this is only when I can be bothered.

Major, I've noticed you haven't touched it since Battlefield 1943 came out. I wanted to know what you thought of it. Razz

So, yeah, what have you guys been playing, if anything?

Last edited by Black Suede on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now Playing...

Post by gdf on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:59 pm

After much hassle I finally managed to get Thief II: The Metal Age up and running but I've only played five minutes. Getting really stuck into Fuel now as well. Initial impressions are great, but I'll see if it has the legs before I judge properly.
gdf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 pm

What you talking about Suede? I've been playing it loads whenever I've had the time! Me and my cousin absolutely love it, it's terrific fun!

I haven't really been on the ol' box much because of work. But when I am I'm juggling Call of Juarez (Liking it more and more) and BF - which is fabulous!
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Playing Portal right now for the first time. I'm really enjoying it. It's really clever and is designed extremely well. The computer voice can be really funny at parts too.
Dingo

View user profile http://increationgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Kaptain Kaviar wrote:What you talking about Suede? I've been playing it loads whenever I've had the time! Me and my cousin absolutely love it, it's terrific fun!

I see. It's fun in short bursts I find.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Have you bought it yet? Or are you still on the trial?

I've played it for like 4 hours at a time without getting bored!
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:21 pm

Yeah I've bought it. I've finished all the test rooms and happily working through the game, it has some pretty amazing moments Big smile

I'm playing on the PS3 btw. Wanted a new game and I found it in the shops so I got it despite the problems that it's supposed to have...
Dingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:21 pm

Ah, I should have asked the question after all. I was talking about Call of Juarez. Wink

I'll buy Battlefield in due time. We just need to get everyone else on board.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Oh lol. I misread your post! I thought you said I hadn't touched BF! lol

Call of Juarez is good in short blasts, I agree. The atmosphere is great when you get to do mini missions on your own and just ride around on a horse.

Damn, everyone misunderstanding each other here! Glad you're liking Portal Dingo! lol
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 pm

lol I got confused... as did everyone else lol. I thought there was a steam trial for Portal or something lol.
Dingo

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Portal is pure genius, I agree. Well worth several playthroughs. It reminds me of films that I just can't get enough of. There are very few of them, but when they come along they're like a ten course meal (topped off by a cake) that you just want to eat every night.
gdf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Portal was over rated as fuck. Even if your game is only 3 hours long, you can't depend on one gimmick. Especially one gimmick that accounts for 90% of the gameplay (the other 10% being platforming, a gameplay style that doesn't suit FPS gaming)
Seany C
Admin

View user profile http://theinterhood.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dingo on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:44 am

gdf wrote:Portal is pure genius, I agree. Well worth several playthroughs. It reminds me of films that I just can't get enough of. There are very few of them, but when they come along they're like a ten course meal (topped off by a cake) that you just want to eat every night.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
Dingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:28 am

Seany C wrote:Portal was over rated as fuck. Even if your game is only 3 hours long, you can't depend on one gimmick. Especially one gimmick that accounts for 90% of the gameplay (the other 10% being platforming, a gameplay style that doesn't suit FPS gaming)

Nah, that's nonsense. The portal gun adds so much gameplay to your traditional FPS or platformer that it's really only fair to criticise it for containing "one gimmick" if you'd level the same kind of thing at Mario for over relying on the gimmick of "jumping". In fact, there are still moving platforms and time-controlled doors in Portal, so it's really only adding to the genre with a pretty unique idea. Polish it off with an achingly awesome plot mechanic and you've got something that's extremely difficult to over rate.
Rebellious Backbencher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:41 am

Mario had mushrooms, size changing, enemies, power-ups, changes in environment etc etc (not to mention it was like 20 years ago)
Portal had portals and jumping
Good concept, poor execution. Mediocre. 7/10
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:31 pm

I was playing Tomb Raider Anniversary yesterday and as I was playing I thought: "why not just play the original? It's better than playing this lame remake". So I opened my cupboard-of-retro-stuff, rummaged through my pile of PS1 games and there was it was - my Tomb Raider Platinum case, well... half of it anyway. I didn't think it would work, with it being scratched to hell, but the PS3 loaded it up with no problem.

Now what came before me was a wave of nostalgia. The theme kicks in, that old swish noise as I navigated the menus, the old big red bars for the loading metre.

OK, I'll get on with it now.

So I started a new game and I soon realised that it hasn't dated too badly for a game that came out back in 1996 for a 32bit console. I instantly remembered what I hated about the newest installments and that is the atmosphere. It's completely lost on the Crystal Dynamics staff. The original has it in spades - maybe because the surroundings are very pixelated - but it doesn't feel all cosy and soft like the latest games. Another thing is the blood, why the hell has Crystal Dynamics taken that out? It just makes it feel like an arcade game. Also, why does Lara control so loose? You push the analogue stick a tiny bit to the left or right and she does a 360 turn. On the original - even though I realised how sluggish it feels to move her now - she still felt grounded.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that. I feel that gaming is on a slippery slope these days and games will soon just be 6 hour long commercials.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:41 pm

I hated Tomb Raider. I played it recently, and realised that while at the time I just found it awful, I now feel it's a disgusting abomination of a game.
I know I can't be right. Not properly right, anyway. It's like with Star Wars - I think it's shit, but I know that on some level it must not be shit, otherwise more people would think it's shit.
Rebellious Backbencher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 pm

During my housebound week between finishing education and starting work I picked out all the best games from my PS1 collection. Oddworld 1+2, MGS1 (Can't find first dis so I had to remove it from the play pile), Medal of honour (still the only good WWII game I've played alongside MoH: Frontlines), Tai Fu: Wrath of The Tiger, Monkey Hero (discs missing, removed from pile), Tomb Raider 1 (too scratched to work), Tomb Raider IV (the young lara tutorial bored me so I'll have to give that another attempt to get into), Urban Chaos (awesome game, shouldn't of faded in to obscurity), Skullmonkeys (best platformer of all time), Syphon filter 1+2+3 (gonna play through them all in order, never finished 3 first time round), OPSM demo disc 42 with the Net Yaroze compilation on it, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Future Cop: LAPD.

Good times were had.
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:45 pm

+1 rep for Star Wars hate

Tell me you thought LoTR was shit too!
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Never seen it.
Future Cop! Less than a month ago I played through that with a mate. Good times.
Rebellious Backbencher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seany C on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:58 pm

I want PS2 backwards compatibility SO BAAAAAD! Damn you Kutaragi, you've sold enough PS2's, release that patch you've no doubt already finished!
I want to finish DQVIII and have all my game saves on hard drive and I want to replay games in HD and I want to buy more PS2 games but not until I can play them on PS3.
Seany C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Rebellious Backbencher wrote:I hated Tomb Raider. I played it recently, and realised that while at the time I just found it awful, I now feel it's a disgusting abomination of a game.
I know I can't be right. Not properly right, anyway. It's like with Star Wars - I think it's shit, but I know that on some level it must not be shit, otherwise more people would think it's shit.

I can see why people would hate it. I'm guessing you just mean Tomb Raider? The only Tomb Raider I ever really liked was Tomb Raider II. I never did finish the original, might try to now. The rest I've never owned (apart from the current gen ones) but played, things seemed to decline after II.

I'm hoping they release Tomb Raider II on PSN.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:26 pm

I've played Tomb Raider 1, 2, and 3.
Each time I thought I had grown up a little and might appreciate it.
Nah.
Rebellious Backbencher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Suede on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:33 pm

I think a - rep is in order.
Black Suede

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebellious Backbencher on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 pm

NO! NO!
My reputation of 2 is all I have in this world.
Rebellious Backbencher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 37 1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top