Fable 3...and those other RPG's

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fable 3...and those other RPG's

Post by bomby on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:17 pm

you can never find something good in fallout? then you have not looked hard enough, its not just in buildings, i decided to go search a cave full of deathclaws and ended out coming out with a gatling laser called vengance that could kill super mutant overlords in seconds. and who cares about horses, the fallout world is smaller than oblivion anyway so a horse isnt really needed.
you cant argue with it being grey, but its set in a post nucleur war, its hardly going to be oblivion with guns is it? and fallout fixed plenty of things broken in oblivion, like the level system.

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:25 pm

I think it just comes down to what World you prefer to play in. I loved the idea of Fallout being set in that Post Apocalyptic worl, but when playing i ust didnt gel with it in the same way i became immediately attached to Cyrodil. I stopped playing Fallout after about 15-20 hours, and never went back. I go back to Oblivion every month or so, and sink another 5 hours in easy.

And plus, Swords, Shields, Bows > Guns, Grenades IMO.
DanglyBrasco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomby on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:40 pm

moving on, im picking up ODST in a few weeks (hopefully), anyone fancy going through the campaign in 4 player?

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaptain Kaviar on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm not saying I wanted Oblivion with guns. I wanted the next Elder Scrolls, not the revival of some other dusty franchise. And I didn't say that you couldn't find interesting things in Fallout, but in Oblivion you're bound to at least find something of interest in every dungeon, unlike Fallout.

And I don't see how Fallout fixed the leveling system from Oblivion. What was wrong with it exactly? It was cool to actually have to do stuff to level up the skills. Fallout is just another typical RPG in that respect.

And of course I can argue about it being grey. The setting that the game has chosen isn't attractive or inviting. That's the point, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. Oblivion on the other hand deals out variation in spades by comparison.
Kaptain Kaviar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:12 pm

And im not going to have an X-Box when ODST comes out... Crying
DanglyBrasco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomby on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 pm

really? everytime i went into a building or cave i found something usefull nearly everytime. and if you found something amazing or super powered everytime you went into a building, the game would fail. its meant to feel like a struggle for survival, and finding power armour and rocket launchers everywhere would make it too easy

the level system is broken, even with the difficulty slider in the middle it took forever to level, and when you did level the improvments where so small it made little difference.and the fact you have to sleep just to unlock is really annoying at times.

and i was agreeing with you about it being grey, but oblivion had what, green feilds, mountains, lake, pretty much what you see in plenty of games, but there arnt many games that deal with post nucleaur war suurroundings, and its done well. this is just how i feel, oblivion is good 7/10 game, but i just prefer fallout, which i would say is 9/10

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:04 pm

I didn't play Oblivion until after I'd played Fallout 3.

I didn't like Fallout 3, as you all know. There was just something hideously boring about searching around buildings and barren terrain to find a whole lot of nothing. I didn't like the health system - why can't my health regenerate while I wait somewhere? I want to play it casually, not to test myself out. Just little niggles like that.

The guns idea doesn't work when you run out of ammo and have nothing to defend yourself with. Atleast in Oblivion, you've always got a weapon no matter what.

With Oblivion, there's just a certain charm. I thought the conversations in F3 were a little stale, and the storyline was hardly amazing. And I know this is no fault with the game as such - the setting was kind of dictated - but it's the grey argument. I have no motivation to go and discover more grey, barren nothing.

I'd like to give Fallout 3 another crack. I don't think it will live up to Oblivion. Granted, there's some real wow moments in Fallout. Leaving the vault for the first time, and discovering Megaton come to mind. That's the sort of thing that would be nice to have in an Elder Scrolls game, something it seems to lack.
Moozo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gdf on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:08 pm

I liked Fallout 3, but Cyrodil was far more visually and thematically arresting. Without the humour and occasional colour of the originals, Fallout 3 got dull. I lasted 30 hours compared to 115 + at least 10 on the PC so far. The appeal of being a scavanger wore off by the time I had decent weapons as well, though the writing and voice acting were far better than the Elder Scrolls game.

And why couldn't the horses have been replaced by awesome bikes and shit?

Then again, Rage and Borderlands look to be filling that Mad Max hole pretty soon.
gdf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DanglyBrasco on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Yeah! Bikes and Shit!

Man they should have made that game like Mad Max, or Waterworld even... That would have been immense.
DanglyBrasco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Oblivion was the game that made me think I hated RPG's. To be honest, I think it was just too big for me at that time. Nowadays I can get my head around a galaxy like Mass Effect, so maybe I should give oblivion another shot, but I don't like the enemies in Oblivion either really. Nothing really different about giant rats etc.

Its just me though. And its also from what I remember from playing Oblivion about a year and a half ago...
JokerJamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by token new zealander on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:57 pm

bomby wrote:moving on, im picking up ODST in a few weeks (hopefully), anyone fancy going through the campaign in 4 player?
Depending on when I actually get ODST when it comes out I would be up for it. BTW Bomby if you can find two other people to do Vidmaster Challenge: Annual on Halo 3 and are still interested in getting the achievement, I'll have 2 weeks holiday from 28th. I already have gotten it so my experince may help Smile

token new zealander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moozo on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm

JokerJamie wrote:Oblivion was the game that made me think I hated RPG's. To be honest, I think it was just too big for me at that time. Nowadays I can get my head around a galaxy like Mass Effect, so maybe I should give oblivion another shot, but I don't like the enemies in Oblivion either really. Nothing really different about giant rats etc.

Its just me though. And its also from what I remember from playing Oblivion about a year and a half ago...

The rats are only at the start of the game really.
Moozo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:23 pm

Yeah when you level up the enemies do as well.

Jammer

View user profile http://www.knights-of-curtainia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:07 am

Ah I see...I just remember going into a town and having to clear out a rat infested basement. But enemies levelling up with you also seems a bit silly. I mean, surely having worked for it, nothing would feel better than kicking the shit out of every enemy you come across. But on the other hand, that could get boring.

I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually when I see it nice and cheap...
JokerJamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomby on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 am

iv got a copy up for trade Smile

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JokerJamie on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 am

really? what you lookin to trade for? the main problem is that i'm in dublin...
JokerJamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomby on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 pm

not sure really, doubt that would be a problem, you got any games you willing to trade for it? check the trading game thread.

bomby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top